Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Taipei - Day 2 - National Palace Museum and Hunan!


I am starting to feel pretty comfortable in the city. There hasn't really been a big culture shock like I was expecting before we left. Taipei feels just like any big city, only I can't speak the language. We've hardly been anywhere though where someone in the room doesn't speak at least a little English. 

On Tuesday Dad had to go into work, so Mom and I grabbed our transit cards and headed to the MRT and on our way to the National Palace Museum. 

It's definitely Christmas!

MRT? No problem!

Up the many stairs to the National Palace Museum.

Get a long little doggy.
Yerp.
Admission was cheap. $5. And not to be a totally uncultured jerk, but it kind wasn't worth much more than that. For me anyways. It was room of endless bowls. And snuff jars. And paintings. And with no context or connection to the history, it was hard to stay interested in the material. We tried really hard though! We had a little snack in the coffee house attached to the museum



Coke tastes like coke!

Mom loves a good crusty bun.

Shot from the top.

What the $5 did get us was a walk through the totally beautiful gardens beside the museum. It's amazing what you can do with such a small space and a lot of care. 


Mom was shocked and I didn't want to pose with these guys.








Garden of Perfected Benevolence. It really was.

 On the way to the museum I noticed a weird sign about Tibetan Buddhism. On the way back I mentioned it to Mom and she had noticed it too. I managed to snap a pic of it on the way back. I"ll have to look up what this is all about.

Tibetan Buddhism vs. Chinese Buddhism

Before I left for Taiwan, Jeff told me that I had to go for Hunan food. I found a highly recommended restaurant called 1010 Hunan Cuisine. The food was amazing. It was a bit tough to order as the restaurant didn't have anyone who spoke even a bit of English. I tried to order dishes that weren't too crazy on the spicy level as Mom doesn't do spicy like Dad and I do. I'd like to go back and get some different stuff before we leave. Yum yum!


                                              


                                     



Sink/Counter


I crashed shortly after dinner. Still doing the jetlag dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment